Survival Project
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The gather tool?

2 posters

Go down

The gather tool? Empty The gather tool?

Post by jobro13 Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:07 pm

A minor difference of Stranded and other survival game is the lack of a "gather tool". I want to discuss this a little bit. The next version of the "action script" will block everything else if the player is doing any action. I cannot think of a case where this would not work. Every time you are doing an action, you cannot do another, unless you cancel it. With the current version of the 'Chop' action, and the features that brough (multi-player chopping) the progress of the action saves.

The main issue here:
How does everyone like the fact that there is no gather tool? Is it irritating (for example random equips when right mouse is down?)

Should I go back to creating a gather tool? Should I give you the option to choose?

In general; what are the main frustration about the current control scheme?
jobro13
jobro13

Male Posts : 250

Back to top Go down

The gather tool? Empty Re: The gather tool?

Post by evilaltofdoom Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:33 pm

The only gripe I have about the toolless forage is the one you mentioned. It's mostly out of habit - you mouse over to look at something and then turn your camera with right click, equipping the item. It's not random, but unwanted and probably impossible to fix without changing the hotkey.

My other qualm is the swap. It's weird and doesn't feel right. I propose the actions which have a tool (building, eating, etc) are anchored into the middle. The hand the tool is in corresponds to which side of the buttons it goes to, with 5 possible buttons to the left and 5 to the right.

Also another issue is the tool ordering. With the default ROBLOX inventory, you can change the tool's hotkey by dragging it. In Stranded, you must drop the tools and pick them back up in the order you wish them to be. It is inconvenient. The solution is to allow functionality when Combine screen is open to drag the tools around on the invisible hotbar.
evilaltofdoom
evilaltofdoom

Male Posts : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by jobro13 Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:50 pm

There is a fix for right clicking which involves checking how long the mouse is down, and possibly getting how much the camera's direction has changed. If these are above some threshold value, the click will not get passed to the tool handlers.

The swap doesn't feel right? I follow why you would want the non physical tools in the middle, but if I limit people to 5 tools left and 5 right doesnt that get frustrating? If you have a pickaxe in your left, and also your torch then you gotta swap and the moment you use another item (e.g. chisel, for later) you need to swap the torch again. Wouldn't it be handier to keep the torch left and the other tools right?

I'm aware that Stranded doesn't have any dragging feature. I will fix that by chagning hotkeys Smile
jobro13
jobro13

Back to top Go down

Post by evilaltofdoom Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:06 pm

Then the amount of tools shouldn't be fixed. In which case, the centre tools aren't anchored anymore - which is what i was trying to go for. You can of course extend beyond 5 for each side if you wanted them center, however there's only so many keys on your keyboard. I still do think the hand the tool is in should correspond to which side it's positioned, relative to the actions.
evilaltofdoom
evilaltofdoom

Male Posts : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by jobro13 Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:15 pm

Ah okay. The tools currently do move into another group if you equip them to another hand. But I guess I can make that more obvious too.
jobro13
jobro13

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down