Survival Project
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Main concept

5 posters

Go down

Main concept Empty Main concept

Post by jobro13 Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:49 am

This topic is to talk about the concept of the complete game. It will be updated with every other concept that is available, to make a gigantic game overview which can be used by the groups that lead the development teams to provide tasks. We need to work out a concept first before we can start developing. Everyone already knows a very crude concept which is the "gather - craft - survive" concept. I don't think there are a lot of things to do about that.

You can post topics on here to provide worked-out concepts. They are much like suggestions, but only bigger and definitive. In other words: You can only use approved suggestions for them. We can discuss them and tweak them a little bit Smile (This is also a category everyone can help in - without a signup for for example Building or Designing).

However, the first thing we should do is to forget about Survival x0x games. They were extremely cool games and indeed the inspiration for this game. However, the danger of having these games in the back of your mind is that we will make a clone of them, with added recipes. That's not the thing we want. We want to make a new survival game, with new concepts, new gameplay, new recipes, new ways of building, new ways of fear, new ways of influence, etcetera.

Surviving
The main goal of the game is to survive as long as you can. If you die...

Dieing
If you die, you lose all your stuff that you made. You empty your backpack (Here we are already, with survival x0x in the back of my mind. Are we even going to USE backpacks? Maybe it's much cooler that our character drags the resources!!) and if you want to replay you have to respawn, possibly miles from where your home is.

You can die of dehydration, starvation and you can die of having your physical health at 0.

Physical Health
The physical health is represented by a health bar. This bar represents the body health. If you are sick, this bar will decrease. If you fall, this bar will decrease. If you get hit by a weapon, this will decrease.

Hunger
The hunger represents a value of how hungry you are. The hunger bar will decrease faster if you do more (??). If it reaches zero, then <action here> happens. (Health starts decreasing? Or will you die?)

Thirst
Your thirst represents a value of how thirsty you are. You can refill it with drinking. Ocean water will only take this bar further down. You should drink healthy river water.

Seasons
Just as in real life the game will have 4 seasons: Summer, Winter, Autumn, Spring. In Summer, the temperatures will be (mostly, depending on the weather) quite high, meaning you dehydrate faster. In Winter, it's quite cold and you can die of undercooling, not to mention that you need more food to make sure you body health stays high. In spring, trees will start growing - the main farming season. In autumn, the trees will drop their leaves and plants such as mushrooms will spawn.

Weather
There will be a weather simulator in the game which will simulate real-life weather. It will include rain (refills ponds), sun, snow (winter), hail (you can take damage of this!), storm (trees can snap) and thunder (watch out for the thunder!).

Crafting
A way to make the life more confortable is to craft. Players can craft things in order to make them feel better - but moreover, to defend them from threats. Everywhere can be an enemy, lurking to find someone walking around and then hitting him with any weapon possible. For the weather, you will need shelter. And, of course, what is less cool than exploring the magnificient world? You will need a decent ship for that. It has to be fun to find new recipes in the game, and crafting should be more than just pressing buttons (how?).

Weapons and tools can be crafted too. Tools can be used to convert items. This should not be just "click 10 times and convert", no, it should have to do with real actions.

Buildings
Another hard thing to decide: The buildings. How do they build? Are they instantly there? Must they just consist of blocks? Etcetera.

Resources
The game should have a wide variety of resources, which all have their own properties. For example, you could have 3 types of wood: a hard one, a medium hard one and a soft one. The hard one is perfect for homes, while the soft one can easily be used to make an "elastic bow".

More to come...

Last edited by jobro13 on Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:13 am; edited 1 time in total
jobro13
jobro13

Male Posts : 250

Back to top Go down

Main concept Empty Re: Main concept

Placeholder.
jobro13
jobro13

Back to top Go down

Placeholder.
jobro13
jobro13

Back to top Go down

Placeholder.
jobro13
jobro13

Back to top Go down

Placeholder.
jobro13
jobro13

Back to top Go down

Placeholder.
jobro13
jobro13

Back to top Go down

Post by jobro13 Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:50 am

Placeholder.
jobro13
jobro13

Back to top Go down

Placeholder.
jobro13
jobro13

Back to top Go down

Placeholder.
jobro13
jobro13

Back to top Go down

Placeholder.
jobro13
jobro13

Back to top Go down

Post by Zokorio Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:21 pm

Sickness should have remedies, like a mixture of stuff, something like frostberries in a snow place that reduce a fever or something.
Zokorio
Zokorio

Male Posts : 46

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:40 pm

We should indeed provide a ruleset for these sickness things.

Admin
Admin

Male Posts : 25

https://survivalproject.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Xulp Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:47 am

Buildings should take time to build, which leads me to interesting topic. Everything should take time to craft, and maybe make forage time small for most objects (To prevent spamming). I can pick up a pebble in the same amount of time as a branch, in reality. If this is implemented, it'd be sort of strange if it took 10 seconds to make a building tool then just place the building. What if we just used it directly from the backpack with :GetMouse() and add a gui that says "Press Q to cancel" or something like that. From there, you can place the building and you can craft nothing else while you watch that building be built. I believe this would be quite a bit more realistic.

Also, for stats. I think we should have a temperature bar in which you could get hyperthermia or hypothermia, which means it should just be a line that moves from the middle. This would give us a use for clothing, besides actually just trying to look cool. Also, make it so you cannot take of the clothes you start with, juts put stuff over it. We don't want people running around nude.
Xulp
Xulp

Male Posts : 60

Back to top Go down

Post by jobro13 Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:22 am

Lol I liked the nude part; when you wanted to undress, you have to be nude first. Makes a very small use for changing rooms.

But yeah that's up to you guys.

The building is indeed interesting and I agree with the gathering time. In fact, if you try to get a med wood that shouldn't be got the regular gathering way, but using an axe. This axe then defines the gather time.

Your building thing is indeed interesting... Ever played Age of Empires? Remember that way how you had to build things? You assign villagers to that building to make it - the more that are there, the faster the building is being built. And, note, that the building is at the start just a bunch of planks.

My idea: Every building should get an "initial building plot". When you get a "plank wall" or something, this include spikes (NOTE just for the concept here). To build it, you need to hammer the house.
Some houses don't need tools and you just have to be close to build it. The thing is, the more people stay close the faster it's done. (Also an use for repairing here... Instead of destroying a building and retooling it, you can now build it from where it left?)

And, I like this temperature idea. It can also be used to indicate for example fever.
jobro13
jobro13

Back to top Go down

Post by coolieman2 Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:24 pm

Technically i have a better idea for that. You assign a plot for the building. Then you click on the plot and click "Work" and that will show an animation and it will drain your energy. Then if the plot needs more resources to build the building. Perhaps like a voxel-based building system where you add resources and work with them to create a complicated and realistic building-recipe system? I like how working in a group can come up with amazing ideas like this.
coolieman2
coolieman2

Male Posts : 78

Back to top Go down

Post by jobro13 Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:16 am

Hrm... Like, you select "Mill" and a building plot spawns with that size. You then drag (HMM no need to put big items in backpack anymore) or PUT the items on that plot?

Seems an interesting idea for me.
jobro13
jobro13

Back to top Go down

Post by coolieman2 Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:44 am

I think it's the best one i have came up with so far Very Happy
coolieman2
coolieman2

Male Posts : 78

Back to top Go down