Survival Project
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SE is going to be Open Source

5 posters

Go down

SE is going to be Open Source Empty SE is going to be Open Source

Post by jobro13 Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:11 pm

Yes, you are reading it. I have decided to make the complete (well, ALMOST everything) SE API open source.

WHY!?
There are some reasons for that.

The first one is that this lowers the priority of creating the IDE (the development environment which would be used on the SurvivalProject place to develop APIs!). The IDE will still come as it is very handy for in-game debugging, and don't forget the advanced debug functions I've announced (such as real-time variable inspecting!). Also, people don't have to "install" stuff on a roblox place to use it, and you can just use it for quick tests.
It's also much more handier for coding, I think. I had the idea that you all could make scripts into a Roblox Place, and I would make a program which would then extract your code from roblox logfiles so you could upload it to me. Making it in studio is much more handier as you can immediately export the code, and you can also use your own IDE or text editors (sublime text!!) to code.

The second reason is that I think coding will go faster. When I mess up something into the base API, you don't have to wait for me to fix it (you know how lazy I am) but you can try to fix it yourself. And moreover: we can all learn some nice coding from this!

The third reason is also about the actual coding: it will be better if we use a site like GitHub (read: we are gonna use GitHub, unless you have some better suggestions (??) ) because you will be updated immediately and we can work at almost realtime! That's very handy when you want to make a class and someone wants to help.

What? Why didn't you decide that earlier!?
There is one BUT, and that also will go with the question "why didn't you decide to make it open source much earlier!?":
One of the reasons that I decided to make it NOT open source is the security. We all know that we have a lot of exploiters on roblox (and maybe you've done it too?) and releasing the security part of SE could make people find holes in the security as they can immediately try to exploit a copy of the security.

On the other hand, and I just realized this: the whole engine is made in modules. Some are necessary for it to run (such as SE_Class, the class handler) but almost everything else is optional, such as all classes. That's why I can decide to make the security closed-source and the rest all open. On the other hand, if I make it open source, EVERYONE could help to patch it when someone finds an exploit. I'll be thinking about this and I'd like to hear your advice.

The second reason is something I've never named, but I just have to tell you. Roblox has a very, very immature community. "Place-copiers" (I can name a few, but I won't) are copying all the place of hard working coders and builders. I was always very scared that Stranded would be stolen (and maybe it is already), because then all my code would be used by people I would not like it to be used by! And that will absolutely happen with SE. People can just copy the code and insert it, and the game will run. Of course, they will still need to install the islands and items for example, but I'm sure people are willing to do that. I've accepted that and on the other hand, maybe people can make awesome games using SE!

GIVE ME!!
Now you're thinking: how the heck should I get this source then? First of all: I haven't put it online yet. My code is readable for myself but I'm sure that the more "technical" code isn't readable by everyone, and that's merely all metatable stuff (metatables ain't hard, but how I've written it down it looks harder than it is). So, I will first optimize and comment my code, make some guidelines too on function documentation and the actual coding and I will also write an example file which will show you what SE can do and how to use it.
That is: How do you create a Class? How do you create an Object (A Class is for example the Part object, while an object could be for example game.Workspace.NewPart after you've created it with Instance.new (Yes, I'm talking about roblox classes here!))? How do I use SE events? How do I use functions from other objects? How do I find my objects in the System?
I will also add a small explanation on why using an API / Engine is better to code bigger objects. I will look back on the old (messy) Stranded, and I will tell you exactly why this will work.

Where and when!?
If you would like to help developing: it's coming earlier than you thought!! We will still use the "tasks" system (altough we can probably use github better for it?) but you can already help creating the BASE ENGINE of the whole game!! Isn't that exciting!?
WHERE? WHEN?
Yeah yeah I know, I'll tell ya.
First of all you need a github account. If you have one: great. If you don't have one: create one here.
Then, post your GitHub username here and I will add you to the Survival Project organization (ohyup!). You also have to download Github for Desktop. When you 've downloaded that you can log into GitHub on that program and if I've added you to the developers of SE then you will see the organization on Github for desktop. When I've uploaded some things you can read and edit them. (And yes, I will include instructions on how to "install" it on a roblox place!)
If you are new to GitHub I suggest you to read some about it, because it could be some new kind of developing to you.

Last edited by jobro13 on Sat May 30, 2015 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
jobro13
jobro13

Male Posts : 250

Back to top Go down

SE is going to be Open Source Empty Re: SE is going to be Open Source

Post by Zokorio Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:12 pm

Good. c:
Zokorio
Zokorio

Male Posts : 46

Back to top Go down

Post by Fattycat17 Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:14 pm

Jobro careful, exploiters is what I worry about the most...

Keep certain client-side functions to yourself.
Fattycat17
Fattycat17

Male Posts : 116

Back to top Go down

Post by Xulp Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:20 am

I dislike your idea. It looks like you are making stranded less of an amazing game by doing it, making it less astounding how you actually got it to work. People may copy the model and make it theirs too, making it look like you used a free model. I just don't think you should.
Xulp
Xulp

Male Posts : 60

Back to top Go down

Post by jobro13 Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:44 am

Hrm. It's quite a dilemma.

If I release it, all you guys can help immediately because you can load it in studio and just code as normally.

If I don't release it, I have to make development tools.

I'll be thinking about it, and I really like to hear your advice.
jobro13
jobro13

Back to top Go down

Post by jobro13 Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:10 pm

I have a better idea.

I will make some classes open source which can't harm. Without SE_System / SE_Class / SE_Base no one can normally use the code.

Of course they can copy lines, but most classes all have dependencies making it quite hard to make a normal script of them. (And don't forget some advanced functions of SE which will make it nearly impossible to use some functions without SE!)

Like that, everyone can see the code, change it, but can't run it.

I will then make an oppurtunity to override the normal class in your personal API on the IDE.

Sounds better?
jobro13
jobro13

Back to top Go down

Post by Xulp Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:27 pm

Much.
Xulp
Xulp

Male Posts : 60

Back to top Go down

Post by Fattycat17 Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:58 pm

@Jobro13
I would much rather just let us (4-5 devs?) have it.
Fattycat17
Fattycat17

Male Posts : 116

Back to top Go down

Post by jobro13 Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:38 pm

I'll go for the open-source classes first.
jobro13
jobro13

Back to top Go down

Post by jobro13 Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:18 pm

7 classes online at github.
jobro13
jobro13

Back to top Go down

Post by coolieman2 Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:24 pm

One thing i'm scared of is that you upload something. People think it's original. Then a noob will copy it and think the noob's is original because the noob claims so. But the original would actually be yours. Be careful. Don't let it get too popular. Or else copiers will get to it and ruin our prefect community.
coolieman2
coolieman2

Male Posts : 78

Back to top Go down

Post by coolieman2 Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:26 pm

jobro13 wrote:I don't think i want to make it open source anymore. It's probably too dangerous.
Knew it Razz:lol!:

EDIT: Okay okay. Jobro didn't say that.
coolieman2
coolieman2

Male Posts : 78

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum